CHRISTOPHER C. MASSIE
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration | Certified Sommelier
420 Cola Ballena #B | Alameda, CA 94501 ~ 510.749.0325 ~ email@example.com
To utilize nearly 3 decades of procurement & management experience in the fine wine industry to build a world class operation which drives profits, thrills consumers and satisfies my dedication to perfection.
- Certified Sommelier with nearly 3 decades experience in tasting, buying, selling, producing and writing about the world’s greatest wines.
- Proven procurement and sales management professional with a proactive approach to wine buying and an established track record of excellence in the fields of: progressive fine wine sourcing via indirect as well as established markets, sales, marketing communications and advertising tactics, and brand development.
- Adept at maximizing sales team performance via traditional as well as progressive marketing and merchandising methods.
- Specialized in the implementation of sensitive sales forecasting towards producing exponential growth in revenue.
- Established track record in developing sales incentive programs that motivate teams, expand brand awareness, and reward sales-team partners.
- Proactive sales and leadership style produced sales growth of 56% in 2006 and 20% in 2007, realizing millions in annual sales revenue growth.
- Substantive and collaborative work style most recently contributed to a 25% increase in profitable sales in 2012 over 2011, resulting in revenues of nearly $50 million.
~ B-21 Fine Wine Co (http://www.b-21.com/), Florida
December 2013 to present
~ Head Wine Buyer
Directing procurement, marketing and sales management functions for this Market Watch “Top 10 Retailers in the U.S.” recipient through collaboration with ownership and operations towards expanding supplier base, new product acquisitions, gross profits, sales and brand awareness while engaging a national and global clientele and building upon sales which exceed $10 million annually.
- Strengthening pivotal relationships with key suppliers at the local level to include wholesalers and market-based brokers towards securing pricing and selection advantages.
- Implementing agreements with new suppliers, guaranteeing first-to-market allocations of coveted products or limited production items.
- Spearheading negotiations with European-based agents, wine-makers, suppliers and brokers for exclusive representation rights throughout key distribution channels.
- Directing analytics across multiple channels and categories to ensure controls of gross profits, inventory levels, product turn, FIFO, on-line merchandising, email marketing content, purchase ordering, receiving, shipping, delivery and various shipping costs and controls.
- Purchasing products from all major and several minor suppliers, spanning hundreds of thousands of SKUs, every viticultural region of the world, and practically every grape type in the spectrum.
- Authoring multiple marketing pieces across all segments (imports, domestics, wines, spirits, collectibles, daily consumption wines, and more) for weekly publication and distribution to a diverse on-line community of more than 30,000 recipients.
- Managing cross functional team of more than a dozen – sales, warehouse, administrative – reporting directly to CEO.
- Performing extensive product evaluation and review, ensuring quality control as well as towards building a database of critiques available for marketing and sales pieces.
- Travel to Europe, California and other wine regions to present corporate position, analyze new vintages and products ahead of the curve and secure product positioning ahead of the market.
~ JJ BUCKLEY FINE WINES (http://www.jjbuckley.com/), Oakland, CA
June 2011 – August 2013
~ Senior Buyer | Texas Lead
Responsibilities for this Inc.500-Rated, world-wide, online wine retailer, with sales exceeding $50 million annually include:
- Performing quantitative analysis towards purchasing wines that represent significant cost benefits to the consumer in an inventory spanning more than 6,000 SKUs and more than 1,000 wineries.
- Negotiating with Domestic wholesalers and importers to institute motivational patterns that secure primary representation positioning and / or a cost beneficial status vis-à-vis the industry.
- Spearheading discussions with European-based wine agents for purchasing opportunities in the secondary markets for wines from France and Italy not easily acquired Stateside.
- Coordinating staff training and pre-acquisition tastings for a cross functional team of more than 15 sales professionals.
- Purchasing highly rated, very coveted selections, exponentially expanding inventory offers in key industry segments to include Bordeaux, Burgundy (Chablis, Cote d’Or, Maconnais and Chalonnaise), the Rhone Valley (North and South), Champagne, Alsace, Piedmonte, Tuscany, as well as numerous other European wine regions.
- Establishing nationally recognized, superior pricing for an extensive client base of highly affluent consumers.
- Authoring daily product offers, emails, blog posts and more, exponentially increasing sales by end of year 1 by more than 25%; resulting in sales of $50 million in year 1 of my employment.
~ CENTRAL MARKET – HEB, Dallas, Texas
~ Wine and Beer Manager/Buyer
Responsible for the selecting and managing of more than 3,500 SKUs and more than 50,000 bottles (per store – currently 8 stores in division) for Central Market Division of HEB, a multi-unit, multi-billion dollar company.
- Hands-on management of individual wine departments that gross up to 10 million annually.
- Leading cross functional teams towards implementing corporate sales and merchandising goals.
- Managing Corporate Sales Reports, Profit and Loss Calculations, Forecasting, Departmental Cost Controls (staff, margins, waste, etc), Employee Scheduling, Staffing, and Monthly Planners.
- Maintaining corporate goals as related to Corporate Image, Community Involvement, Margin on Sales, Profitability and Branding.
- Hands-on sales to clientele with vinous tastes and experience ranging from novice to oenophile.
- Integrating traditional and progressive marketing tactics that include social and on-line media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn), blogging, e*mail campaigns as well as corporate newsletters.
- Hosting wine seminars, staff training seminars and monthly special events to boost sales and increase margins.
~ BORDEAUX DIRECTE ET PLUS | WINE BROKERS, Dallas, Texas
2009 to 2011
~ Sales Manager and Product Buyer, Imported Wine Division
Oversaw sales management functions for the distribution of naturally produced, terroir-driven wines of Bordeaux and non-mainstream viticultural regions of Europe by leading functional teams in new product development, the establishing of product parameters (concept, price, and packaging), and the development of marketing plans as well as the forecasting of volume and growth.
- Developed critical relationships with key producers through social media resulting in exclusive distribution rights across product offerings within specified markets.
- Recommended product offerings to tier-1 and secondary level distributors along with marketing programs based on consumer, customer and competitive trend analysis aligned with profit targets.
- Conducted quantitative analysis utilizing a variety of sources; shipment data, consumption information, competitive performance. Tracked business results versus budget to understand business drivers.
- Implemented trade and consumer promotions, point of purchase and public relations. Presented marketing strategies to leadership team for review.
- Built business model to enhance brand stature including advertising and public relations. Served as key point of contact to develop proprietary programs.
- Oversaw marketing concept methods that increased sales revenue and developed brand awareness.
~ CHRISTOPHER’S WINE WAREHOUSE, Houston, Texas
1997 – 2009
Developed business plan, secured funding, and successfully launched boutique wine-only shop with $1+ million in annual sales revenue within first year.
- Spearheaded the buying of unique product offerings through key relationship with known industry experts across distributors, importers, brokers and account executives (domestic and international).
- Boosted sales growth 56% in 2006 and 20% in 2007 realizing millions in annual sales revenue growth.
- Led day-to-day store operations providing sales leadership team weekly status reports on revenue, issues and new initiatives.
- Implemented industry leading eCommerce module to operations ca 2000 – including weekly email offers and website shopping functionality – increasing sales exponentially within first quarter of launch.
- Reduced operational expenses by eliminating marketing footprint with electronic solution to proprietary customer list.
- Developed additional intuitive eCommere websites, leveraging consumer behavior and website analytics, to promote products and promotions by segment. Branding and back-end functionality are now incorporated by myriad on-line wine retailers.
- Integrated social networking component to expand market share and brand awareness. (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn.com, Wine blogs, etc.)
- Utilized Interspire software for shopping cart solution, expanding customer behavior metric availability through customized application reporting.
~ EUROPEAN WINE GROUP (IGC IMPORTS), Atlanta, Georgia
1994 – 1997
~ National Sales Manager/Burgundy and Rhone Buyer
Established U.S. market European-wine-development-programs to secure products for direct-import and purchase division of American-based wine-import Company.
- Developed annual sales strategy and market direction achieving $8 million in sales revenue in less than 5 years.
- Serviced distributors at state level throughout the U.S. as a tier one supplier, co- managing company products with state-level wholesalers in 40 states.
- Designed marketing collateral including website, portfolio, point of sale tags, intra-company marketing pieces, and more.
- Built key relationships within myriad communities to boost revenue channel.
- Spearheaded build of bi-weekly eNewsletter to international subscription list. Managed and authored publication.
- Evaluated market analysis and trends for new product development comprising Languedoc/Roussillon wines, wines of Burgundy, Southwest French wines, Rhone wines as well as Spanish, Italian, Australian and other imported wines along with non-traditional products.
- Formulated automated reporting component reducing loss and product expenses ensuring increased profitability.
- Implemented promotional program incorporating known industry experts (Robert Parker, Steve Tanzer), supplying product samples monthly for review resulting in the doubling of sales revenue year one of instituting.
~ UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS – ARLINGTON, Arlington, Texas
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, 1988
~ L’AMBASSADE DU VIN, Pernand-Vergelesse, France
Certified by the L’Ambassade du VIN, Beaune, France, 1997